Saturday, February 26, 2011

OLD TIMER TREASURES/THE GOALIE PROJECT - Richard Brodeur (Part 1) + What is it ALL Worth?

It's nice to get back to my hockey card community after being buried underneath hours of homework lately. Today I present my very last signature of the 10 Old Timer Treasure cards. Like I said in my last Old-Timers Treasures this is the guy that started the entire segment. He's the first Canuck goalie to go to the Stanley Cup finals - Richard Brodeur. If you've followed me long enough to read my first post of "Old-Timer Treasures", you already know how I acquired all these signatures. If not, read the next paragraph :)


When I was younger, my grandma (believe it or not) got the privilege of meeting one of the Canucks all-time best goalies. Richard Brodeur; famous for his 1982 run to the Stanley Cup finals with the Canucks; waltzed into my grandma's office. Richard was a nice enough guy to give my grandma a signed book from himself. My grandmother knew I was a crazy hockey fan and quickly called me and passed the book along. This is what the front cover looks like:



Obviously I was pretty psyched to receive a signature from an old time Canucks goalie, but for some odd reason it never occurred to me to actually look inside until 2 years after I received the book. Why?? I have no clue. But to my pleasant surprise there were 10 signed "hockey cards" of old-timers inside.

My favorite out of all my signatures was the front cover masterpiece of Brodeur above. But his signature on a hockey card don't look so bad either!

GP-385
Michael's Rating: 9
  
There it is! That's all the old timer sigs I got for ya! But like most of my posts, I'll leave my readers with some food for thought. HERE is a link to all my Old-Timer Treasures posts. The signatures include Gilbert Perreualt, Kirk Muller, Ron Hoggarth, Doug Bodger, Steve Shutt, Gaston Gingras, Mark Napier, Glenn Anderson, Dale Hawerchuck and Richard Brodeur. 

Combined, these players have...
PLAYED: 8486 games
POINTS: 6914

After seeing these names and numbers, what would you value these cards at? One of my goals for this year was to "value" my collection. Whether you as a hockey card collector use the Beckett hockey card pricing guide or not, this is what I am using personally. I'm not old enough to remember the times where others used and went by Beckett, and this was my first time buying it. So I'm rolling with the Beckett and using it as my source.

That being said, there is no way of knowing the specific pricing for all these signatures. I'm a big "number's" guy so figuring out what this is worth is a big deal for me. Although, these do have much more than monetary value to me as the story behind these cards is pretty cool.

So I ask again, what are these signed cards value?

As for how this affects my Goalie Project, this is where my Brodeur signature lands me:


Alex Auld
Murray Bannerman
Martin Brochu
Richard Brodeur - 1/3 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Gary Bromley
Bruce Bullock
Sean Burke
Frank Caprice
Jacques Caron
Dan Cloutier
Ed Dyck
Ken Ellacott
Bob Essensa
Mike Fountain
Troy Gamble
George Gardner
John Garrett
Glen Hanlon
Johan Hedberg
Rick Heinz
Corey Hirsch
Charlie Hodge
Arturs Irbe
Jason LaBarbera
Ken Lockett
Roberto Luongo - 3/3 COMPLETE! 35 TOTAL
Drew MacIntyre
Cesare Maniago
Bob Mason
Dave McClelland
Steve McKichan
Kirk McLean
Rob McVicar - 1/1 COMPLETE! 1 TOTAL
Alfie Michaud
Tyler Moss
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Félix Potvin
Andrew Raycroft - 1/3 COMPLETE! 6 TOTAL
Curt Ridley
Dany Sabourin
Curtis Sanford
Cory Schneider - 1/2 COMPLETE! 5 TOTAL!
Corey Schwab
Petr Skudra
Gary Smith
Garth Snow
Kevin Weekes
Steve Weeks
Kay Whitmore
Dunc Wilson
Wendell Young

GO NUCKS GO!    

2 comments:

  1. If my Grandma got something like this for me, I would consider it priceless!

    But if you want to put a number value on the cards, it's tough. I've never really seen the cards sell for very well. I can give you a rough idea of the sell value/beckett value on the cards.

    Gilbert Perreualt $10
    Kirk Muller $4
    Ron Hoggarth $2
    Doug Bodger $2
    Steve Shutt $5
    Gaston Gingras $2
    Mark Napier $2
    Glenn Anderson $5
    Dale Hawerchuck $5
    Richard Brodeur $5

    As mentioned I've never seen these cards sell for very much signed or un-signed. I've seen signed cards listed at .99 cent starting auction and never sell.

    I did inflate the values a little bit when I priced them but you would be lucky to get that amount if you sold them. If you sold them as a lot you would be hard pressed to get more then $25 for them all together.

    Don't take offense, they are a very nice/unique item. If my Grandma gave me these I would consider them priceless and always keep them in my collection! They are pretty neat cards and the books is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha....no offence taken at all! Most of these cards are staying in my collection for just that reason - because how I received them is priceless!
    Just nice to know the honest price of them!
    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete