Friday, March 11, 2011

THE GOALIE PROJECT - Curtis Sanford (Part 1)

I've been able to collect random Sanford's from different sets and packages. So, lucky for me I don't have to search for any single's anywhere to collect more. Let's start with Curtis' cards NOT in a Canucks jersey...


One from the 2006-07 Victory set, and another from 2007-08 OPC set. I have doubles of both cards. 


The lone card I have of Sanford sporting 'Nucks gear is the one above.


This is the nicest card I have of Sanford as it is from 2002-03 Private Stock. Check out the back:


I always liked the simple design of Private Stock. This rookie card is numbered to /1550, as you can see on the bottom left hand corner. This card was included in a package that a fellow blogger sent my way awhile back.

Curtis Sanford was a two year back-up for Luongo in the 2007-08/2008-09 seasons. He isn't a household name by any means, but he did get the fans of Vancouver excited on what is usually a pretty "personal" decision for goalies. He held a design my mask contest. I've heard of a few goalies that had done this in the past and I thought: why not give it a try? My dad and I both came up with masks for Curtis, we both based a lot of our masks on his nickname - Sandman. Here's my dad's:


Here's mine:


Mine's a little more blurry because it's a scan of a scan, but I still think mine's better. My dad obviously think's otherwise. I have Canucks color stripes leading to his number at the chin. I kinda have a BC theme from the right hand side leading up to the forehead. The left side is a picture of the Sandman from the marvel comics. All around, I spent a lot of time on it and was happy with my final product. Wanna see the mask that won? I think it's pretty amazing, and I'm not ashamed I lost at all!

 

 

Pretty sweet huh? Anywhoo, this is where I stand with my Goalie Project:


Edit: Also my buddy from school caught the blogging fever and has started a new blog about soccer. If you're into soccer (like me) you'll love this blog. Has very in depth analysis from my friend.
CLICK HERE

GO NUCKS GO!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I remember Sanford and his mask contest. I thought it was a really cool idea. Very nice job by you (you're dad's is pretty goo too). I like that you included the winning entry in your post.

    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    I thought I might as well add in a personal connection other than just the plain old here are my cards and I'm outta here...

    I appreciate the comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Ryan Miller did something like that a couple of years ago too. It's a pretty cool idea.

    ReplyDelete